Thursday, November 11, 2010

We have been saved and prepared for this!

Ok...so this isnt necessarily an "Ah-hah" moment or anything....but I have been reading Elder Holland's book, Broken Things to Mend. In the book Elder Holland says, "Prophets such as Moses, Nephi and the brother of Jared saw the latter days in tremendouly detailed vision. Some of what they saw wasnt pleasing, but surely all those earlier genereations took heart from knowing that there would finally be one dispensation that would not fail. Ours, not theirs was the day that caused them to sing and prophesy of victory."

President Woodruff is quoted in the book saying, "This is the great dispensation that has been spoken of ever since the world began." And President Hinckley said, "Somehow among all who have walked the earth, we have been brought forth in this unique and remarkable season. Be grateful, and above all be faithful."

I have heard these types of things said before, that we were saved for these days and that we were prepared. But, this morning when I read it I didnt think about myself and my own preparation, I thought about some attitudes out there of people not wanting to have children and bring them into "this" world. This corrupt, scary world. Then, I thought....but wait a minute...we are doing ourselves a real disservice if we do not have these kids! They have been saved for this time....prepared for this time....they are the ones that are most capable to do this! I think of my own brave little boys and my sweet little princess and wonder what it is they have been prepared for. I am thankful that we have the gospel in our lives and that we can help strengthen them spiritually and to teach them to always trust in our Heavenly Father and our Savior...and that through our faith in Them that we can and will overcome all, and that we will win!


It's scary and reassuring all at the same time isn't it? That is a great responsibility for us, for our children and theirs. We try to do what we have been told to do - have family home evening, family prayer, scripture reading time, go to church and all those other things that along with this....but this makes me feel like I need to do more, put more effort into it and give a little more. I hope this is what I was supposed to learn from that passage of his book...I think it was because I felt the spirit so strongly as I read it and as I thought of these things.

I hope you dont think I am crazy....maybe this isnt the place, really, to record this...but I know that my family reads this and who is more important to share our spiritually learning and moments with than our family right?!?! Love you guys....and have those kids...we need 'em! :)

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Right on the money! I know that sometimes I feel like I am not doing enough, but then I think about what is taught in primary now, compared to what we were taught way back when. We have that help. They are a support to our growing families too. I am so thankful for the incredible teachers that my children are blessed to have in primary, for the wonderful family (hint hint) and neighbors who reinforce those teachings. Love YOU!!