Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You're Gonna Miss This...makes me stop and think

So this song, I have heard it half a million times and its affects haven't worn off yet! I cry every single time and think of how much I complain and worry and get upset over things that are so trivial when I stop and think about the big picture here! I can identify with each verse...and I just think of the time I have wasted and let slip by and how I need to cherish every single moment that I have with my precious little guys...and my husband and all of my family and friends.

I remember being in high school and thinking I just couldn't wait to graduate and be "free" to do my own thing and grow up. What was I thinking? I had no idea...I guess not too many high school kids do..and they all say that, but had I known then what I know now...I would hope that I would have looked at it all a little differently.

I, also, remember as Ken and I were dating (forever!!!!) I would wish for us to just get married and have a family. Once we did get married we didn't have to wait too terribly long for that family to come along. BUT, I think back of all the fun we had together, just the two of us, and wish that I would have paid a little more attention to that and made sure that I enjoyed it to the fullest. I loved it, I have great memories of lots of fun things we did and special times we had...but I think I was so busy worrying about the future that I may have missed some of it. I remember thinking I would never miss our little basement apartment that seemed so cramped and inadequate...but I do. We have a lot of great memories in that little apartment...I miss it!

Now, with the kids...I try to remind myself - every mess I have to clean up, and fight I have to breakup, and time out I have to give....that someday I am going to miss this and that I shouldn't get so upset over the small things. That I should be thankful for each moment with them. Sometimes it is hard, when James has found a Sharpie and wrote on the walls (Mr Clean Magic Eraser takes it right off!), or Levi has felt it necessary to smear the peanut butter from his sandwich all over the kitchen floor to think I may ever miss it...but I know I will. Along with every request for bedtime cuddles and more songs to be sung, kisses, bruises, blackeyes, tantrum, tickle monster invasions, games upon games of hide and seek, and the constant reminders that "stupid" is not a nice word (both from me to them and them to me!).....but I will look back at those times with love and longing.

That is my ramble for today....I have some fun pics coming soon. Ken has found a new hobby and I think I might like to do it too! We'll see...I will tell you all about it soon!


YOU'RE GONNA MISS THIS - TRACE ADKINS

She was staring out that window, of that SUV
Complaining, saying I can't wait to turn 18
She said I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said I was just like you-

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her It's a nice place
She says It'll do for now
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says Baby, just slow down

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this
You're gonna miss this
Yeah, you're gonna miss this

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Totally identify.. sniff, sniff.. I guess that's why mom likes to leave little the handprints on her windows..